Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ambiposiosis Interview - Emily Cross


1. What does art mean to you?


Keeping your eyes open, even when they're closed.

2. Does art have spiritual resonance in today's society at large?


Society at large. I think that it does- if not momentarily. I think of people like Alex Grey or Olafur Eliasson. That piece "The weather project" was very spiritual for some people who went to see it. It was transportive, powerful, engulfing. Or Robert Irwin- the way he speaks about perception is sort of spiritual. Lots of people view art in that realm to begin with; something mystical -one has looked within oneself to pull these things out. That alone is spiritual, I think. Or something.

3. What is the most rewarding aspect of your creativity?


Following these lines that get started. It's extremely interesting where your subconscious leads you around. Usually I don't realize it until much later down the line. I'll look at separate pieces I have made and realize they have so much to do with one another, and I feel like I have learned a thing or two about myself somehow. It's a surprising phenomena....gets me every time. It is around art that I find myself entering important (to me) conversations. I love that aspect of creation as well- engaging with people who want to know why on Earth you have done something.

4. Do we lack cohesiveness as artistic entities whilst creating outside of any said "ism"?


I asked one of my professors who has been teaching for many years what he has noticed about each group of students as the years have passed, if anything. He said, "You all seem so all-over-the-place. Increasingly scatter-brained...or maybe just excited. Everyone thinks they can do everything all the time; and you all are right. You can! I think it is the internet."Um..well, I don't know. I think that it's a big assumption to say that we all lack cohesiveness as artistic entities. Maybe we are- but I think it is safe to say that it is more accepted than ever before. I don't think stamps are important.

5. People are collaborating without ever actually meeting each other, are we spawning a neo-renaissance in art?


Maybe. I don't think I have enough distance or age to have an opinion.

6. Class is insignificant when creative spirit is involved, is the artist beyond the class divide?


mm'hmm

7. What is most important to you?


Doing what I want. Making other people happy and love me. Loving people.

----------------------------------------

There are some people who emit positive energy and seem to effortlessly edify everyone around them. Do you know what I mean? Emily Cross' photography refreshes the mind and speaks directly to the spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment